Whenever a homeowner wakes up in the morning, a sudden bout of water damage is never what’s planned for the day.

Unfortunately, we can’t plan what happens and or what nature or faulty plumbing does to our home.

We’ve written about water damage before, and what you should be looking for in a restoration company, but perhaps the most major consequence of water damage is mould.

Hero Response is your local restoration team dedicated to helping you get through fire, water, and property damage. Perhaps the biggest part of our job, though, is getting people back to living their happy and healthy lives inside of their homes.

Being able to definitively know whether or not mould is a problem in your home is a major factor of home safety.

Because mould can cause so many problems with our health, we’ve put together this guide to understanding how dangerous this problem could be if it isn’t found and dealt with!

The common problem areas

Within a home, there are certain areas that are more prone to developing problems with mould.

Though it can happen anywhere, Hero Response wanted to outline a few basic starting points you could inspect to start getting an idea of whether or not mould is a problem in your home.


Any place that is commonly humid, fluctuates in temperature, isn’t very well ventilated, or contains water is a great spot for mould to grow.

Unfortunately, our bathrooms check off every box on that list.

When it comes to finding out if you have mould in your home, we recommend having a good look at your grout and tiles, sealant, drains, and bathtub. If these areas are clean, move on to the next areas or call a professional to confirm this for you.


The kitchen can be a problematic area for similar reasons to the restroom.

However, we wanted to address the kitchen separately to emphasise that, if you have mould, you will want to take care of it.

If you are noticing mould around the edges of your sink, windowsill, dishwasher, or in other areas of your kitchen, you need to completely clear it.

Mould can be dangerous in the air and when ingested. Because you cook and feed the family from the kitchen, it is recommended that mould be professionally removed as soon as possible.


If you have an older garage, you may notice that it is damper than other areas of the house or that condensation is more likely to form.

Because garages are typically darker, this not only makes it harder to detect mould with your eyes but it also creates a great breeding ground for mould.

Examine your garage for wet spots on the floors, cracks, or any areas where water may enter. Scent may also be a factor helping you locate possible mould.


It’s below ground, oftentimes unfinished, darker, and less insulated. The basement is the perfect place for mould to grow and that’s exactly why you need to ensure that this doesn’t happen.

For this helpful guide, we’re going to discuss basement mould and how dangerous it actually is for your family!

Is basement mould actually dangerous?

The short answer is: yes. Hero Response specialises in home restoration, including the removal of mould, and it wouldn’t be as big a part of our job if it wasn’t a huge danger to everyone’s health.

Because basements are enclosed areas that may not be frequented by members of your family, they are prone to becoming overwhelmed with mould.

Basements are not typically well ventilated, though they can be a part of your air conditioning system. This means that spores are able to multiple and saturate the air at a higher density that they may in other areas of your home.

And if your basement is connected to your air conditioning system, you may be siphoning mould spores throughout your home without even knowing it.

Mould in the basement absolutely should be taken seriously…

Here’s why:


When mould is in the air and environment, infection is always a risk that you should be aware of.

Because mould spores are typically already in the air if there is a problem in the home, it can become absorbed through our skin and lungs. This can lead to infections in people with lowered immune systems or have had transplants, catheters, or joint surgeries.

Respiratory problems

As we mentioned, mould spores can be taken in through our lungs. When this happens, you could develop coughing, upper respiratory infections and complications.

If an individual suffers from allergies, asthma, or COPD, exposure to mould can create life-threatening complications.

Allergy or cold-like symptoms

One of the first signs of mould being in your home is a sudden attack of allergies in the people who are most commonly found in the home.

Regardless of the pollen season outside, if your family members begin to wheeze, cough, sneeze, get irritated eyes, or become itchy: pay attention.

These could be side effects from mould exposure that should not be ignored.

Similarly, these warning signs of mould can be mistaken for a cold or flu that is hitting the household. Watch closely for improvement or worsening of symptoms to differentiate between whether mould or a flu is the culprit.

Thinking of ignoring basement mould?

All of these health consequences can occur as a result of exposure to mould. No matter where it is located within your home, it is better to remove the mould that to simply try and close off the room.

This irritating problem may spread to other areas of your home from within the walls and cause further damage.

To protect yourself, you will also want to prioritise your health in these circumstances. A basement full of mould can result in you and your family members developing these health conditions.

Worse yet, it’s possible for complications to occur that result in a hospital stay or unpredictable tragedy.

If you are suspecting that there is mould anywhere in your home, don’t hesitate to contact us. We are available 24/7 to assist you with your concerns and home needs.