Like many unpleasant disasters, water damage is something that most of us don’t ever think about until it happens to us. Then, it becomes an all-consuming issue of the highest priority. Today in Canada.
Then, it becomes an all-consuming issue of the highest priority. Today in Canada, flooding holds the top spot when it comes to property damage to households. As a result, Toronto water damage restoration has never been more important.
Toronto Water Damage Restoration
Here at Hero Response, we field all kinds of questions about all kinds of water damage issues. Some of the things we regularly talk about include waterproofing your home, avoiding flooding, water damage cleanups, and more.
But, lately, we’ve been asked a lot about water damage restoration, and, we’ve compiled a list of some of your most common questions and queries.
The truth is, water damage can happen at any time, anywhere to anyone. But, what do you do when it happens to you?
In this article, we’re sharing your top ten questions about Toronto water damage restoration.
Ready to take a deeper dive?
Let’s jump right in.
The Top 10 Questions About Toronto Water Damage Restoration
1. What Causes Water Damage?
Water damage can occur for a variety of reasons.
A build up of excess water in your home came come from any of the following:
- Natural disasters such as hurricanes or floods
- Weather related issues
- Household appliances that malfunction
- Plumbing system issues
- Bursting or leaking pipes
- Issues with gutters and drains – they may be backed up
- Septic tank overflows
- HVACs (Heating, ventilating and air conditioning units) issues.
2. How Do I Know I Have a Water Damage Problem?
Water damage can be very apparent in some cases, but less obvious in others. One of the major problems with water damage is that it can sometimes be hidden from obvious view.
Look out for some of the following:
- Unpleasant odors. A musty smell is a major red flag
- Visual signs of mould growth across your floors, walls, etc
- Discolorations in places that are out-of-the-way or not in view
- Stains or blotches on walls and ceilings
- Peeling paint on walls
- Sagging walls, swelling wood, and ceilings
- Floor issues and texture changes of any kind
Always remember that water will always seek the lowest level. It will seep under your floor coverings. Sometimes, this won’t be obvious until you remove the carpet, etc.
3. What Damage Will Water Cause?
Water damage can cause a whole host of problems in your home.
If the water damage is coming from a clean source, some of the following issues will be of major concern:
- Your drywall may sag or disintegrate
- Wooden structures can swell, rot, or buckle
- Paint will bubble or peel
- Carpets can become saturated and destroyed
- Electrical hazards aplenty – damage to electrical outlets, etc
Damage to Your Health
If the water is from a contaminated source, it presents a serious threat to your health.
If you suspect that your water damage is coming from contaminated water, call in the Toronto water damage restoration experts immediately.
4. What is the Problem With Mould?
Mould and mildew that arises because of water damage can cause many problems for you and your family.
Not only can mould destroy your furniture, it can wreak havoc on your health. Mould has been known to cause a range of health issues such as asthma, respiratory problems, flu-like illnesses, and other, more serious problems.
5. Can I Clean Up the Damage Myself?
In certain circumstances, it may be possible to take care of the problem yourself.
If the water damage is small and you can see it clearly, you may be able to handle it by removing the excess water and drying out the room.
However, with water damage, the problem is in what you cannot see. Often, that is where the major problems come from.
So a good rule of thumb to follow here is this one: When in doubt, call the professionals out.
6. How Quickly Should I Call In Professional Help?
With water, you can never be too careful and it doesn’t take very long for water to damage both your property and your health.
Mould takes between 24 to 48 hours to grow so the sooner you call in help, the better.
7. What Is Water Damage Restoration?
Water damage restoration is all about restoring your home to the condition it was in prior to the flooding event. It’s carried out by professional trained, qualified experts.
8. What Does the Process Involve?
Here at Hero Response, we consider ourselves Toronto water damage restoration experts.
If called to your home, we will carry out some or all of the following actions depending on the nature of the problem:
- We will carry out a full, comprehensive inspection of the area
- We will stop the water/flooding before it causes more damage
- We will remove all of the excess water using state of the art machinery
- We will then dry out the damaged rooms or rooms, using dehumidifiers and professional fans
- After the area is clean and dry, we will test the air to make sure that all excess moisture has been removed
9. How Long Will Restoration Take?
The length of time it takes to fix the problem will be influenced heavily by the extent of the problem itself.
Some questions that influence the speed of restoration include the following:
- How severe is the damage?
- How long has this problem been going on?
- What kind of saturation has occurred?
In normal circumstances, it takes about 2 to 3 days to dry the average home, but all problems are different, this length varies and it is given here as a rough guide.
10. Will My Insurance Cover The Cost?
Whether or not the insurance company will cover the damage depends on the nature of your insurance. As always, it’s important to know exactly what you are getting for your insurance premium ahead of time.
Rest assured that all reputable Toronto water damage restoration experts will have experience dealing with the insurance claim process. They will have built up a great relationship with insurance companies and they will be able to effectively handle your insurance claim from start to finish.
Toronto Water Damage Restoration
So, there you have it. The ten most common question we field every day about water damage and water damage restoration.
Have we left your question out? If so, don’t hesitate to contact us.
We’re experts in water damage restoration, and we’re always happy to help.